Monday Oct 03, 2011
The Smithsonian is the world’s largest museum, with 19 museums and galleries. It’s a really big deal to have a work of art in the Smithsonian. Which is why we’re super excited to have 13 of them being featured!
We’re honored to be part of the upcoming Art of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian. It’s one of the first exhibitions to explore the forty-year evolution of video games as an artistic medium, with a focus on striking visual effects and the creative use of new technologies. The exhibition will feature some of the most influential artists and designers during five eras of game technology, from early pioneers to contemporary designers. It also will explore the many influences on game designers, and the pervasive presence video games have in the broader popular culture, with new relationships to video art, film and television, educational practices, and professional skill training. Chris Melissinos, founder of Past Pixels and collector of video games and gaming systems, is the curator of the exhibition.
The exhibition will feature eighty games through still images and video footage. In addition, the galleries will include video interviews with developers and artists, large prints of in-game screen shots, and historic game consoles.
Which SEGA games made it in? Here’s the lucky 13:
There’s also some great Sonic artwork included in the exhibit. I don’t want to spoil it all for you, but here’s some of the featured artwork.
The Art of Video Games exhibit will be at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. (USA) from March 16, 2012 through September 30, 2012.
Get Your Name in the Exhibit Credits
Ever dreamed of having your name in the credit reel at the end of a game? Well, I can’t help you with that, but you *can* get your name in the credits of the Art of Video Games exhibit! By donating as little as $10 to the Smithsonian, your name will be listed both online and in the museum exhibit itself. The more money you give, the bigger your name will appear. As if that’s not cool enough, there is a monthly drawing for a free gift from ThinkGeek! You can donate online, or you can donate at the $10 level by texting GAMEART followed by your name to 20222.*
Monday Oct 03, 2011
Everyone loves a contest and one that revolves around a classic SEGA franchise that’s returning is all the better. We’ve got a bit of a game out there for folks that love SEGA history and are good with old audio files from the past. Aside from boasting your classic knowledge and gloating among friends, what fabulous prizes do we have in store for you? For those with the skills (10 randomized winners from correctly guessed games), we’re giving away the very game that we’re asking you to name on the PlayStation 3 platform!
How to Participate!
It’s actually quite simple – first view the video embedded below and send us your submission directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject as “Name That Game!” and submit your guess in the body of the email. Be sure that your email address is accurate and include your full name and address. Only one entry per person!
Watch the Video!
Yes yes, we know, it’s not fair – it never is … there are always restrictions with contests and we have a few. You must be 13 years of age, be a legal resident of the United States, and you can’t work for SEGA (only fair!). Check the official rules for more information and good luck in the contest!
Also, the winners’ first initial and last name will be posted in our public blogs. If you do not want this information made publicly available, then you should not enter this contest.
Lastly – the entries must be received over email – submitting a comment on the blog, on YouTube, or anywhere else across the great wide interwebs will not count as an official entry. Of course you are free to speculate, but remember – email if you want to win!
Sega of America, Inc.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
By participating in the Promotion, each entrant unconditionally accepts and agrees to comply with and abide by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects. By participating in the Promotion, participants agree to release, discharge and hold harmless Promotion Entities (defined below) from any and all damages whether direct or indirect, which may be due to or arise out of participation in the Promotion or any portion thereof, or the acceptance, use/misuse or possession of prizes. Further, the Promotion Entities do not make any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the use of any prize, including, without limitation, quality, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose. Further, no responsibilities are accepted for any additional expenses, omissions, delays, re-routing, or acts of any government or authority.
(2) Eligibility – The Promotion is open only to legal residents of the United States and the District of Columbia (excluding Puerto Rico and all other US territories) who are 13 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees, officers and directors of the Sponsor, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, advertising, promotional, fulfillment and marketing agencies, International Speedway Corporation, its parent, subsidiaries, limited liability and affiliate companies and their respective shareholders, officers, directors, employees, agents and assigns (collectively “Promotion Entities”) their immediate families (parent, child, sibling & spouse) and persons living in the same households of such individuals (whether related or not), are not eligible to participate in the Promotion. Void in Puerto Rico, all other US territories and where prohibited by law, rule or regulation. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
(3) How to Enter – Visit www.sega.com/sweepstakes and listen to a brief audio clip of a theme song from a Sega game. Send an e-mail to email@example.com. In the subject line of your e-mail enter the name of the Sega game in which the song on the audio clip is featured. In the body of the e-mail provide your first/last name and date of birth. There is no limit to the number of times you can listen to the audio clip; however, only one (1) entry is allowed per person, per e-mail address. Only entries with the correct answer to the name of the Sega game will be eligible entries.
Any attempt by any entrant to obtain more than the stated number of entries by using multiple/different/duplicitous e-mail addresses, the use of a sweepstakes service, the use of multiple identities, registrations and logins, or any other methods will void that entrant’s entries and that entrant may be disqualified. Entries that are incomplete, contain irregular or invalid information, or are corrupted are void and will not be accepted.
(6) Prize Awarding – Winners will be selected in a random drawing from all eligible entries conducted on or about October 24, 2011. Potential winners will be contacted within three (3) business days of the drawing by e-mail (“Prize Notification”) and provided with an Affidavit of Eligibility and a Liability/Publicity/Photograph Release (“Affidavit”), which must be completed, (unless prohibited by law). The completed Affidavit must be returned within seven (7) days of Prize Notification; failure to respond in this period of time will result in the winner’s forfeiture of the prize and the selection of an alternate winner. If any potential prize winner is between the ages of 13 and 17, the prize will be awarded to his/her parent or legal guardian who must complete the Affidavit with his/her information and provide proof of age and residency and outlined in the Affidavit. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for Sponsor to use winner’s name and likeness for advertising and promotional purposes as Sponsor so determines without notice or further compensation, except where prohibited by law. Prize recipient shall not be permitted to (a) replace his/her designated prize with another prize or item, (b) transfer or assign his/her designated prize to another person or (c) substitute any prize or prize component for cash. In the event of unavailability, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. All federal, state, local, and other taxes on prizes, (including any applicable import taxes on prizes) are the sole responsibility of the person accepting the prize.
(7) General – All decisions of the Sponsor in any matter relating to this Promotion shall be binding and final. Sponsor is not responsible for technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware, software, or web site. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, interrupted or unavailable network server or other connections, miscommunications, failed telephone or computer or telephone transmissions or technical failure, jumbled, scrambled or misdirected transmissions, for incorrect or inaccurate entry information, howsoever caused, or other error of any kind whether human, mechanical or electronic. Entrants found tampering with or abusing any, aspect of this Promotion, as solely determined by the judges, will be disqualified. If disqualified for any of the above abuses, Sponsor reserves the right to terminate entrant’s eligibility to participate in the Promotion. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Promotion may be in violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Sponsor reserves the right to terminate, cancel, suspend and/or modify the Promotion if any fraud, virus or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper play of the Promotion, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In such event, Sponsor reserves the right to award the Grand Prize and First Prizes at random from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Promotion and the rights and obligations of Sponsor and entrants will be governed by and controlled by the laws of the state of California, applicable to contracts made and performed therein without reference to the applicable choice of law provisions. All actions, proceedings or litigation relating hereto will be instituted and prosecuted, without resort to any form of class action, solely within the state courts of California located in San Francisco, California and federal courts located within such state and county with respect to any action, dispute or other matter pertaining to or arising out of the Promotion. In the event any provision of these Official Rules will be held to be unenforceable, these Official Rules will continue in full force and effect without such provision.
(8) Winners List – To receive the names of the winners, send a self-addressed stamped envelope postmarked no later than October 10, 2011 and received no later than October 17, 2011 to: Sega Name That Game Winners List, PO Box 12055, Scottsdale, AZ 85267-2055. (WA and VT residents may omit return postage.)
©SEGA. All Rights Reserved. SEGA is registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. SEGA and the SEGA logo are either registered trademarks or trademarks of SEGA Corporation. All trademarks on this page and used in this contest are the property of their particular owner and are used with permission.
PlayStation is a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC is not a Sponsor of, or in any way affiliated with this Promotion.
Did you make it this far? Kudos to you! Good luck on your entry!
Monday Oct 03, 2011
We’re excited to announce that Ryan T. from Pennsylvania is the winner of our Brick People contest! As the winner, he will receive a $50 gift card for iTunes, and we’ve incorporated his story into the Brick People intro video. Drumroll, please –
Congrats to Ryan, as well as our first place winners Skyler K. from California and Andrew B. from Utah, who each win a $25 iTunes gift card.
Brick People is available now on the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.
SEARCH BY GAME
|No public Twitter messages.|
VIEW THE GALLERIES